Cricket is a religion in this country, very right, but its only when you take off the spectacles of devotion from your eyes, the dark truth makes an appearance. India, for the second time in a row, made chasing a modest total look like a process as complicated as pregnancy. Bowlers leaked runs like a damaged sewer leaks water. Batsmen wobbled around as if there was an ant under their pants. All this, before a packed Kotla crowd, which in anticipation of a demolition of sorts of the Netherlands by India, had thronged the stadium.
MS Dhoni was at loss of words while explaining India's precarious performance. His usual diplomacy did not augur well either with the fans or the media. I lauded him for deciding to field first against a somewhat dangerous Irish side. But his tactics against Netherlands were quite questionable and left me wondering whether there is a hint of arrogance under that garb of coolness.
- Why declare that India was looking for an 'easy game' even before the first ball was bowled? Do you look for tough games when you go into field? Is not it the hope for a comprehensive victory that should drive you into the filed, every time you step in?
- What prompted you to undermine Dutch's prowess? Does your team, at the moment, look like winning every game? No, it does not. Do you think your team can beat minnows comfortably? Wasn't Ireland a lesson? First fix your own woes, then take your oppositions lightly. A mature captain of a cricket crazy nation must not play to the gallery and declare intentions first up. Your boastfulness belittled India's effort even more!
Indian team is hugely imbalanced at the moment. It looks like a bunch of talented school kids, basking in their own little world of glories. While bowlers are absolutely clueless about their job, batsmen seem to be following their own agenda. As if a Sehwag was not 'natural' enough, we have a Pathan to accompany him. On bowling front, Piyush Chawla is being given a longer run for no reason whatsoever. Harbhajan Singh is a liability, to say the least. Time for a well-deserved reality-check!
- Harbhajan Singh! Get a life! You are a pathetic One-Day Bowler! You don't deserve a place in playing XI. Doing monkey acts and participating in dance shows seems to have gone into your head. 2 wickets in 4 games show that you are not capable of taking wickets. You can not spin a cricket bowl. You are virtually impotent.
- Virender Sehwag! Why do you think you are God's greatest devastating gift to planet? Why are you so arrogant and over confident? Why you seem to be in a constant hurry and anger? What's bothering you? Till when will continue playing your 'natural game'? Add some grace to your butcher ways! Sometimes you are pain to eyes!
- Yusuf Pathan, why do you look lost while batting. Add some brain behind your raw power and you would be fine. Boundary rope is not the only thing in a cricket field. There are plenty of gaps, here and there, that are meant to be used. If you continue in this fashion, I am sorry to say, you have a short cricketing career under your sleeve.
- Piyush Chawla! You are self proclaimed heir of Anil Kumble in this country. I learn that you are a 'young talent' since 3-4 years and are being 'groomed'. The captain seems to have a 'special liking' for you. Between all this, can you please start leg spinning, your primary job. Please get rid of your 'baby' image, when you don that blue jersey next time!
Sorry to say, this team does not have in it to lift 'the cup that matters'. However, I would like to be proven wrong.